Pages

Tuesday 16 February 2016

The songs I live by

Nothing beats a good tune, especially one with a positive message. So I've picked out some of the songs that help me along this rocky road we call life. If you want to listen along, there's a playlist here.

Yes, I am one of those annoying people who likes to plaster a Pinterest worthy quote against an unrelated yet attractive photo.

If Harry Potter is my bible then these are my hymns, in no particular order:

It's my Life - Bon Jovi
If you ever need the motivation to go out and live life to the fullest, then this is the one for you. Basically, it's along the lines of 'YOLO', "I ain't gonna live forever, I just want to live while I'm alive". As well as reminding us to follow our own path, "like Frankie said I did it my way", thanks Frankie (whoever you are*).

The Middle - Jimmy Eat World
The 'alternative' kids' anthem, but a message every child and teenager going through school needs to hear, and sometimes adults too. This song addresses the listener directly with the use of the pronoun 'you' and encourages us to "just be yourself" and not to worry about what other people think, "just try your best, try everything you can, and don't you worry what they tell themselves when you're away".

Silence is the Enemy - Papa Roach
This is a loud angry song and I love it. It's all about speaking your mind, even when there are other forces against you, "I know you wanted me to keep my mouth shut, because you hate it when I speak my mind", "so scream your heart out".

The Anthem; Festival Song; I Just Wanna Live - Good Charlotte
So these are actually three different songs, however they all have a similar message, which is to just live your own life the way you want, and not the life others expect you to live, "I'm gonna get by and just do my time, out of step, while they all get in line" (from The Anthem). These angsty songs are great when you need reassurance in going against the grain or are just in the mood to give a big 'F you' to society and it's expectations.

Weightless by All Time Low
Everyone feels like they're in a rut every now and again and may need a nudge in the right direction. The lyrics "maybe it's not my weekend, but it's gonna be my year" especially resonate with me at the moment. Since I quit my job and I am currently un-employed, there are times when I feel a bit lost and doubt my life choices, even though I've got so much to look forward to in the year ahead. This song reminds me to focus on those exciting plans, and to not be held back by fear or doubt. I even got to see it played live at Reading festival last year.


All Time Low's set up on the main stage at Reading 2015

I think that's enough songs for now, but there's so many more out there, so I guess I'll have to write a 'Songs I live by 2' in the future. What songs do you find inspiring or reassuring? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below. 

J :)

*Up-date - I've been told Frankie is actually Frank Sinatra.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to post any tips, questions or comments. Remember to leave the link to your blog if you have one!!